Are you on the hunt for the best audio editing software? Maybe you want to start a podcast and need the best audio editing software you can find. Perhaps you are in the market for audio editing software for personal use. Regardless of what your reasoning is, there are certainly a lot of options out there.
We know how overwhelming it can be to search through reviews and spend hours of time researching. Well, you’re in luck. We have tracked down and reviewed tons of different audio editing software. Through a rigorous process, we were able to narrow down the 10 best audio editing software programs out there.
Comparison of the Best Audio Editing Software
Here are the most commonly asked questions regarding the best audio editing software.
1. What Is Audio Editing Software?
Audio editing software enables the user to take audio files and make a number of changes to them, usually to make them more appealing.
2. How Do I Know the Best Audio Editing Software for Me?
Determining the best audio editing software for you will be contingent on several factors. Some major factors to consider are your skill level, the features that are most important to you and what, specifically, you will be using the audio editing software for. Taking those factors into consideration, you will be able to narrow down the best for you with this guide we’ve made.
3. Where Can I Purchase Audio Editing Software?
Most of the best audio editing software programs we have chosen as the best are available for download on either Amazon or the company’s website. However, some do come in disk version that can be ordered online. We provided all purchasing links to make it easier for you.
How We Reviewed
In order to find the best of the best, we use a very strict reviewing system. We configure the pros and cons, the best features, where to buy, the price of the product, customer reviews, and ease of use. Using our unbiased system, we were able to track down only the best audio editing software, so you will be able to make the most informed decision possible.
Overall Price Range
The overall price range of the best audio editing software varies depending on a variety of factors. The features, the tools, and the number of tracks you’ll be able to edit. The best audio editing software prices range from free all the way up to over $400.00. The more expensive software will likely have more features, tools, and free plugins available.
What We Reviewed
Sound Forge Audio Studio
- The all-in-one audio editor: everything you need to record, edit, restore and master audio
- New! Event tool for flexible and dynamic audio editing
- New! Customizable user interface with 4 selectable shade settings
- New! Editing for files with up to 6 channels
- Professional audio editing effects
Sound Forge Audio Studio has lots of great features that include restoration and mastering tools that are not only easy to use but allow the user to create professional results quickly. It also has “Slice Editing”, and “Soft Cut” tools that make editing audio very easy no matter what type of project you are working on. It’s great software for beginners and is highly affordable. This software also allows the user to edit video too! It’s a top choice for Podcasters who are just starting out, and with all its features, affordability, and functionality, it’s easy to see why Sound Forge Audio Studio is one of the best audio editing software choices. This software is also a leader for professional plugins which makes it perfect for a novice wanting to become more experienced.
Audacity Audio Recording & Editing Software
- In 2018 Audacity is still the #1 affordable software for professional sound and music recording, editing, and playing all common audio files such as: WAV, AIFF, FLAC, MP2, MP3, OGG Vorbis
- Live Music Recorder: you can create live recordings of music or audio. Easily digitalize your records and cassettes. Mix and master you mixes with the bonus plugins this bundle includes.
- Mix as many tracks as you need with effects to brighten or polish your sound. You can get the same sound as the pros!
- For Windows 10, 8, 7, or Vista as well as Mac OS (10.6 and newer)
- Bonuses: Collections of audio plugins for Audacity Software. Video tutorials on the disc to help you get started and learn how to use your new software.
Audacity is likely an audio editing software you have heard of before. Many users choose this option not only because it’s free but because it has a wide range of features. It is also incredibly easy to use, even for beginners. Some of its great features include noise reduction, bass editing, treble editing, distortion and lots more. When it comes to analytic features, Audacity isn’t lacking! Some of its other great tools include silence finder, sound finder, and beat finder. All of those tools together make Audacity one of the best audio editing software programs out there right now.
For a completely free software program, Audacity is jam-packed with amazing features. And, if you are worried about which file formats it supports, it’s compatible with nearly every audio file format out there including MP3, AIFF, PCM, WAV, AMR, WMA, MP4 and more. This software is excellent for beginners looking to expand their audio editing skills and experienced editors.
Logic Pro X
- Version: 10.4.4 | Direct Download / License
- Compatibility: macOS 10.12 or later 64-bit
- Updatable: Yes | Family Sharing: Yes
- Media: Direct Download Only | NO CD / NO USB
- No Refunds Once Downloaded / No Exceptions *
Logic Pro X is a great choice for audio editing software, but it is only available for systems running macOS. However, although it’s only available on this system doesn’t mean it’s lacking in other areas. It comes with both basic beginner audio editing features as well as advanced audio editing features. Users love the “Smart Tempo” tool as it allows the user to automatically match the timing of different tracks in a single project. This best audio editing software also comes with a variety of plugins to make audio editing much more comprehensive. You can use the “Flex Time” feature to editing the timing of a single note in a waveform without cutting out of the clip. Many audio formats are supported including WAV, CAF, MP3, AIFF and more! If you’re overwhelmed, don’t worry, Logic Pro X comes with a ton of tutorials!
Acoustica Standard Edition
- Record multiple MIDI and audio tracks simultaneously. Over 7500 royalty-free loops and samples.
- Trigger auto-sync audio and MIDI clip grooves live or in the studio with Performance Panel.
- 15 pristine sounding virtual instruments, two samplers and 28 professional audio effects.
- Load and edit video files and still images with ease. Render complete video projects to popular mats DVD creation or YouTube upload.
- One-click publishing of music and videos directly to YouTube, Facebook, Sound cloud, Mix cloud, Vimeo, and Twitter. Burn directly to an audio CD!
Acoustica Standard Edition works on both MAC and PC. What’s great about this standard software is that you are easily able to add premium plugins easily. It has award-winning plugins available such as “Equalize 2” and “Restoration Suite”, both of which come with the Standard edition. It comes with multi-track editing, making it very easy to customize your audio exactly how you want. There are always great analytic tools that are able to calculate the quality of the audio, the output, and the phase correlation. Users love the spectral editing features.
Reaper is a favorite because of its many great features. For all the features included in this software, the price is highly affordable. With this best audio editing software, you can record multiple disks at the same time, apply effects in real time, and shift pitch easily. Users adore the multichannel support that allows 64 channels per track! Another excellent feature of Reaper is that it’s fully customizable, enabling each user to make the editing screen perfectly fit their needs.
In addition to supporting most of the popular audio file formats out there, Reaper also supports some less popular formats such as ACID, MOGG and OGG OPUS. It’s practical, functional, and provides a great experience for the user. Pair that with its affordability and Reaper is one of the best audio editing software programs available today.
MAGIX Audio Cleaning Lab
- Over 6 GB of exclusive stereo sounds in brilliant sound quality on one single DVD
- Loops & Samples - Over 6.000 brand new and exclusive loops & samples
- Top HiFi sound - Wave format (16-bit / 44.1 kHz / stereo)
- Music chart quality - 80-140 Beats per Minute (BPM)
- Complete with Reverb, Echo, Vocoder, Filter runs, and much more
Do you have older files that need a serious upgrade? This software is perfect for that! With this audio editing software, you will be able to easily optimize audio tracks, remove any distortions, and make use of special effect sounds. This is the best audio editing software for seemlessly cleaning up tracks and producing excellent digital sound.
- Powerful mixing and automation
- The best Piano Roll in the business
- Flexible Browser and workflow features
- Support for all VST standards
- Over 80 instrument and plugin effects included
FL Studio is used by some of the heavy hitters in the audio editing space, making it appealing for a variety of reasons. It supports multi-track recording, pitch shifting, and time stretching as well as a mixer that comes with a range of great tools. It has automation options, delay compensation, and effect chains that can really bring life to an audio file. FL Studio comes with over 80 plug-ins that will take your audio editing up a notch such as synthesis, compression, and sample manipulation. If you’re looking for a wide range of instruments, FL Studio has you covered! This comprehensive audio editing software supports tons of file formats including MP3, FLAC, AIFF, DS and more! And a huge bonus is the VST support, allowing users to use virtually any third-party plugin.
- Multitrack audio recording and MIDI sequencing of software and hardware instruments
- Unique session View for nonlinear composition, flexible performance and improvisation
- Real-time warping of audio: automatically sync music and loops, regardless of tempo
- Unlimited audio and MIDI tracks
- Includes 5000+ sounds (70+GB), 57 effects and 10 instruments (wavetable, Operator, Sampler, analog, electric, tension, Collision, Simpler, drum rack, Impulse)
If you’re looking for audio editing software that can also be used for music production, Ableton Live is a wonderful option. It has lots of features including unlimited audio and MIDI tracks enabling the user to have as many layers of tracks in a single project as you want. This software also comes with an astounding 70GB of pre-recorded sounds to use as you want in your audio projects. It also includes 15 software instruments, 46 audio effects, and loads on mono input and output channels.
It’s been frequently used in electronic music production and supports a lot of audio file formats including WAV, MP3, AIFF and more.
Presonus Studio One
- Intuitive single-window work environment with quick and easy drag-and-drop functionality and multi-touch support
- Unlimited audio and instrument tracks, advanced automation features, virtual instruments, Buses, and FX channels
- Pristine sound quality with Native 64-bit resolution and support for up to 384 kHz audio
- Chord track manipulates audio and note data of any or all tracks for harmonic editing and song prototyping
- Incredible new virtual instruments: impact XT and sample one XT for powerful beat or loop-based composition, live sampling, and robust sample editing
Although this is the most expensive software that made our list, the features make it well worth the price tag. It has easy drag-and-drop functionality making editing a breeze for both beginners and experienced audio editors. It has unlimited audio and instrumental tracks, advanced automation features, and pristine sound quality. Users love the single-window work environment as well as the multi-touch support offered with this software.
- Award-winning 64-bit floating-point Steinberg audio engine, flexible routing and full automatic delay compensation
- Three outstanding virtual instruments comprising the HALion sonic SE 3 workstation, groove Agent SE 5 drum machine and prologue synthesizer
- Over 40 audio effect processors, including high-end VST dynamics, pitch correct for vocal intonation correction and the VST amp rack guitar tone Suite
- Chord track and chord pads for playfully and creatively composing with chords
- Comprehensive content library with thousands of instrument sounds, MIDI construction loops and audio samples
Cubase has been used by major artists such as Zedd and, therefore, is a very popular audio editing software. It has a frequency equalizer enabling users to edit delicate frequencies on tracks. Users love the Auto-Pan feature because it lets you quickly and easily play with tracks. This software, like most of the others, is available for a trial, so you can try it out before you buy to make sure it’s right for you.
While all of our choices are the best audio editing software available, you need to decide which features are the most important to you. Luckily, almost every one of our picks allows you to try before you buy.
To familiarize yourself with the audio editing process, we recommend that you download Audacity, as it’s completely free and a great way to decide which features are most important. If you’re experienced in audio editing, you may want to opt for more expensive software such as the Presonus Studio One.
If you are looking for audio editing software strictly for a Podcast, start with a trial of Sound Forge and decide if it’s right for you. Either way, any one of these audio editing software programs is sure to meet your needs and help you produce fantastic audio. Good luck in your decision and happy audio editing!